Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Davis Polk is a firm of well-rounded people who bring a wide range of perspectives and backgrounds to our work, resulting in a strong and inclusive culture, and more innovative solutions for our clients. To us, diversity means many things – gender identity, ethnicity and sexual orientation, of course, but also place of origin, language, educational background, socioeconomic status, non-legal expertise and interests, and experience outside law.
- Our lawyers come from more than 40 countries and collectively speak more than 50 languages.
- 35% of our U.S. lawyers are racially/ethnically diverse and/or LGBTQ+.
- 46% of our associates and 19% of our partners are women.
- 40% of our partners promoted in the past five years are women, racially/ethnically diverse or LGBTQ+, including 50% of our 2020 partner class.
- 60% of our firmwide committees are chaired or co-chaired by a partner who is a woman, racially/ethnically diverse, or LGBTQ+.
- Our 2021 summer associate class includes 55% women and is 60% racially/ethnically diverse and/or LGBTQ+.
– As of April 2021
Davis Polk has a tremendous commitment to developing, retaining and promoting women. Our collaborative and open culture is incredibly supportive of women, and there’s a real willingness here to find ways to support the career of each associate.”
– Dana Seshens, Partner
Women at Davis Polk
Women excel at Davis Polk. They lead important matters, head up significant committees, run practices, serve as primary relationship partner for many of our largest clients, and hold senior roles in public service and bar organizations.
Everyone in the firm works to ensure Davis Polk provides a positive and empowering environment for women in law. The Women in Law Empowerment Forum has named Davis Polk among its Gold Standard Firms eight times.
Davis Polk is committed to retaining and promoting women attorneys through mentorship and opportunity. The firm and its leadership take the challenges faced by women in the legal profession seriously and are dedicated to identifying and implementing solutions.”
– Elizabeth Diggs, Associate
Our Affinity Groups
Our affinity groups are a cornerstone of our culture. For over a decade, we have supported six dynamic affinity groups that provide networking, mentoring, career development and leadership opportunities for our diverse professionals and a forum to explore areas of interest. Our affinity groups host or sponsor more than 40 events per year, often with our clients.
I’m proud of the diversity efforts at Davis Polk. I’m on the steering committee for the Black Affinity Group, and when we host events, the Management Committee and partners actively participate. Davis Polk is invested in diversity and understands that the firm can best serve its clients by having a diverse group of lawyers, as it brings to bear a wider range of experiences and ideas. Clients are also focused on diversity and like to know that the firm they are hiring to handle their most important and complex legal matters is a place where all associates can thrive.”
– Vanessa Jackson, Partner
- Asian/South Asian/Middle Eastern (ASAME)
- Black Affinity Group (BAG)
- DPW Parents
- Hispanic/Latinx American (HLA)