Our summer program provides you with an all-encompassing experience of work and life at one of the world’s top-rated firms.
How to Apply
- We will be accepting applications for our 2021 Summer Associate Program beginning in Winter 2020.
What to Expect
- Real work: As a summer associate, you’ll work closely with partners and associates on significant cases and transactions that involve complex legal issues and well-known companies and financial institutions. As a new team member, you will be fully integrated and receive the same level of responsibility as any first- or second-year associate. You will draft documents, participate in conference calls, go to client meetings and court, possibly travel on client business, and conduct meaningful research – work that is of value to our clients and to the firm.
- A program tailored to your needs: Unique to Davis Polk, two junior associates, one corporate and one litigation, work full-time as the summer program coordinators and are tasked with ensuring that each summer associate receives a range of work assignments and has a fulfilling summer experience overall. The summer coordinators will meet with you to discuss your practice areas of interest and any other personal or professional goals you have for the summer, and will continue to meet with you regularly throughout the program.
- Professional development: We offer over 20 formal training sessions throughout the summer program, including department and practice area overviews, corporate and tax immersion programs, and Pitch It!, an interactive business development exercise designed to give summer associates an inside look on how we develop and pitch new business. These overviews and training sessions are designed to introduce you to the work and career paths available to you at the firm, and you are encouraged to take on assignments from any of our practice areas.
- Mentoring: You will be matched with both a partner mentor and an associate liaison who will introduce you to the firm and provide ongoing professional guidance.
- Cultural and social events: Baseball games, cooking classes, neighborhood food tours, fitness classes, Broadway shows – we plan a range of events designed to introduce you to New York, Washington DC, Northern California or Hong Kong and give you the chance to get to know your Davis Polk colleagues.
- Pro bono opportunities: We work on a wide variety of pro bono matters, and we welcome you to get involved in these rewarding projects. In the New York summer program, we offer two-week externships at several public interest organizations in New York City.
- Travel: Some of our summer associates spend four weeks working in one of our overseas offices while others split their time between New York and Washington DC or Northern California. And some associates have the opportunity to travel on a client matter.
Summer Program Offices
- Our New York office is the firm’s largest, with a comprehensive range of corporate, litigation and tax practice areas. Our strong presence in this global financial center has been cultivated over decades, and the firm and its lawyers are ingrained in the city’s major business sectors and financial markets.
- Our Washington DC office’s key practices – white collar government investigations, financial institutions (focusing on trading and markets and bank regulatory advice), antitrust and competition, and national security – are active in areas as diverse as government investigations, the regulatory and enforcement aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and the impact and implementation of financial regulations and reforms.
- Our Northern California office is the base for service to our West Coast clients. Our practices reflect the firm’s traditional strengths in advisory, transactional and litigation work (including IP litigation), combined with a focus on the distinct needs of technology and life sciences companies.
- Our Hong Kong office is the firm’s largest outside the United States. Our corporate lawyers advise on high-profile M&A, private equity and capital markets transactions, including IPOs by Chinese companies, while our experienced litigators handle a wide range of white collar, enforcement, commercial litigation and financial services regulatory matters.
- Questions about the Davis Polk U.S. summer program are answered here.